Historic building restoration including brick masonry and stone details.
The Francis H. Leggett Co’s Warehouse is a Landmark building designed by George W. DaCunha, whose buildings are found in the Tribeca Historic district as well as other Manhattan historic districts. This structure was built in 1881-82 for Francis H. Leggett (1840-1909), an influential businessman and owner of one of the country’s largest importing firms in groceries, teas, and coffees. Leggett’s business remained in the building until at least the middle of the second decade of the twentieth century. The facades display the bold, linear articulation of the neo-Grec style in combination with more intricate and complex detailing that characterizes the Queen Anne style. Originally the building, which replaced eight structures, had three imposing, and very similar, facades. In 1914, as part of the widening of Varick Street and the extension of the IRT line, the western side and half of south side of the building were demolished and a brick wall with simple openings was erected on the new western building line.
In 2018 Henson Architecture completed an interior renovation of the lobby and hallways, to bring back the industrial look to this former warehouse. At the beginning of 2021 the exterior and storefront renovation in compliance with the Landmarks Preservation Commission was also completed including a new glass and metal sidewalk canopy. Henson has been retained for other projects on the building and continues to work diligently with the entire construction team to restore this beautiful landmark.
November 4, 2019