Scott Henson Architect completed the full façade restoration of the Knickerbocker Telephone Co. Building, located at 200 Lafayette Street in New York City’s SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District Extension. Originally constructed in 1894 by architect and builder John T. Williams, the 7-story loft-style building is designed in the Renaissance Revival style and features a rusticated base, multi-story brick piers topped by molded capitals, elaborate cartouches, and pressed-metal cornices decorated with dentils and scrolled brackets.
In 2012, Scott Henson Architect was retained to address the decades of deterioration, which had left the historic street façade and cast iron storefront in a state of critical disrepair. The meticulous restoration included the repair and/or replacement of nearly all of the building’s original historic features, including the sheet metal cornice; the brownstone water tables, sills and lintels; the cast-iron bands and storefront bays; and the fire escapes. Much of the top floor of the Lafayette Street façade was reconstructed along with the entire upper half of the sheet metal cornice and decorative brackets, which were replaced to match the original. Due to the extensive deterioration of the brownstone, substantial sections of the water tables had to be completely rebuilt and many of the brownstone lintels and sills had to be cut back and replaced. All the cast iron and wrought iron elements of the facades were stripped, patched or recast and painted to its original historic color (paint analysis performed by Higgins Quasebarth and Partners).
Design architects Stephen B. Jacobs redesigned the storefront bays to match the historic configuration and directed the interior renovation, which celebrates the original historic features by exposing and restoring brick walls, cast iron columns, heavy timber beams, and wood ceilings. Completed in summer 2016, the 105,000 sf manufacturing building has been converted from an underutilized warehouse into high-end retail and offices spaces.
The project has been recognized by the Society of American Registered Architects with the 2016 Design Award of Excellence.
We were retained to work on the exterior restoration of this ten-story loft building.
The Neo-Renaissance building is situated in the Tribeca West Historic District. SHA carried out a full exterior restoration of the building.
The scope of work included brick reconstruction and waterproofing, terra cotta and stone repairs, wood window repairs and a window replacement masterplan, structural steel spandrel replacement, a storefront design and masterplan, and awning repairs.
We were engaged to direct the restoration of this 1883 historic building located in the SoHo Landmark District. Designed in the Queen Anne/ Renaissance Revival styles by H.J. Schwartzmann & Co. Architect and altered in 1898 by the firm of Buchman & Deisler the building has undergone numerous renovations and housed residences as well as a technical school.
The Puck building, originally the home of the Puck magazine is one of the great surviving buildings from New York’s old publishing and printing district. The red-brick rounded arched structure occupies the entire block bound by Lafayette, Houston, Mulberry and Jersey Streets. It has been one of the most prominent architectural presences in the area since its construction in 1885. The result of three stages of construction, the building and its additions read as a single unified composition because of its supervision by architect Albert Wagner. The style is an adaptation of the Romanesque Revival, which reached popularity in the 1880’s. We performed a historic structure report in 2006, which aided the restoration program performed over the course of the following two years.
The restoration program included cast iron repairs and painting, mortar joint cutting and repointing, brick reconstruction, gilding restoration, window caulking, shutter repairs and painting, roof and coping stone repairs, chimney reconstruction, and façade cleaning. In addition to the restoration program, we executed Local Law 11 inspections and interior plan reviews. Presently, the Puck building houses office and event space and is home to New York University’s Wagner Graduate School of Public Service. This iconic New York City landmark remains one of the most striking 19th century industrial buildings in lower Manhattan today.
We were retained to direct the restoration of this neo-classical New York City Landmark building, originally built in 1931 by Benjamin Wistar Morris, of Morris & O’Connor. The restoration included repairs to the limestone cladding, brick reconstruction, and a new roofing membrane.
This seven-story brick and brownstone condominium building, located in the NOHO Historic District, underwent an exterior restoration.
It was one of the first in the district to reflect the district's shift from residential to commercial buildings in the late 19th century, the building features a street level storefront space which was restored to closely match the original.
The brick and brownstone upper floors were repaired with masonry patching mortars and re-pointed, and the roof was replaced with a new liquid applied roofing membrane.
We were retained to direct the restoration of this Landmark building listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally designed in 1891 by notable New York architect Stephen Decatur Hatch in the Romanesque Revival and neo-Flemish styles, the restoration included masonry reconstruction, repairs to the original stone cladding, historic wood window replacement and cast iron restoration.